Friday, November 2, 2007

Autumn visit to Margaret’s hope Tea Estate

Margaret's Hope Tea Garden Factory

On the 30th of October I went to one of my favorite tea estate Margaret’s hope Tea Garden located just below the Sonada station in Darjeeling.
Climbing down the steep hills towards the factory make the hair stand on the skin but this road is absolutely great fun for people of our age who definitely needs that buzz after a busy schedule…. anyways I was delighted to watch the scenery go pass by, specially the clean air I was breathing after months of working in the busy Darjeeling town, soon we reached the factory there was Mr. Rawat (factory assistant Manager) waiting for me as usual with his thick beard, we did a lot of tea tasting but I was not convinced with any of the teas, I was specially there for their china special variety but not even one tea was convincing for me, all the tea had that touch and grow condition meaning pre-autumn character.


(Rajiv Mitra - Testing Margaret's Hope Autumnal Flush 2007)


I met the Senior Manager Mr. J.D. Rai and he told us that there was atleast a temperature difference of 10 degrees Celsius between day and night and any difference above 5 degrees Celsius means less crop or pre-seasonal crop, they offered me many Oolongs and White teas but I was there to buy the real face of Darjeeling tea that is a very high quality black tea ,so I had to come back empty handed, they promised me that they would send us their best teas as soon as its available so let see, we have some 2 weeks in hand now. But can surely say that the Autumn 2007 will not be a successful one.

No comments: